May is Mental Health and Wellbeing Month, a time to focus on self-care and prioritise mental health. As the famous quote by Mahatma Gandhi says, "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others."
Mental health is an essential component of overall wellbeing, and taking care of it is crucial. There are lots of things we can do to look after our mental health and wellbeing every day, why not start with these 7 top tips:
- Reframe unhelpful thoughts – The way we think, feel, and behave is linked. Sometimes, we develop patterns of thoughts or behaviours that are unhelpful. Recognising them and taking steps to think about things differently can improve mental health.
- Be present – Taking time to be aware of ourselves and be in the present moment, noticing our own thoughts and feelings, and the world around us can provide a better perspective. This is sometimes referred to as being more mindful.
- Get good sleep – Having good quality sleep impacts not only our physical well-being but also our mental well-being. It's important to feel well-rested.
- Connect with others – Spending quality time with friends or family, talking to someone about how we're feeling, or finding ways to help other people can all help improve mental health and well-being. This can be done online, by phone, or in person.
- Live a healthy life – Being active and maintaining a healthy, balanced diet both have an impact on how we feel.
- Do something for yourself – Whether it's enjoying your favourite hobby, learning something new, or simply taking time to relax, it's important to do things that make you happy, such as trying a new hobby or acquiring a new skill.
- Write a letter to your future self – When you're feeling better, think about what you'd like to tell your future self if things become harder and you need more support. Reminding yourself of what keeps you feeling positive now can help you through those more challenging times in the future.
For more information on mental health or to reach out click here.