Retail Manager Level 4
Retail managers are responsible for delivering sales targets and a positive experience to customers that will encourage repeat custom and loyalty to the brand / business. It is a diverse role that includes leading and developing a team to achieve business objectives and work with a wide range of people, requiring excellent communication skills. Maximising income and minimising wastage are essential to the job and therefore individuals must develop a sound understanding of business and people management principles to support the achievement of the vision and objectives of the business. Retail managers champion the way for personal development, training and continuous improvement, encouraging their team to develop their own skills and abilities to enhance business performance and productivity.
- Customer– Understand key drivers of customer journeys and how managing positive customer experiences increases sales, customer spend and loyalty, and the resulting financial impact on the business.
- Business– Understand the vision of the business, its competitive position and own role and responsibility in the delivery of business objectives. Understand the market in which the business operates and how this impacts on the products / services it offers.
- Financial- Understand the key drivers of profitable retail performance and the relationship of forecasting to the retail calendar; know how to analyse and use information for forecasting, and how to report on financial results. Identify the impact of different types of costs on the business and understand how to make effective use of resources.
- Leadership– Understand different leadership styles used in retail businesses and when to use them effectively to motivate and inspire the team to do their best.
- the range of data protection and legal issues
- the data life cycle
- the different types of data, including open and public data, administrative data, and research data
- the differences between structured and unstructured data
- the fundamentals of data structures, database system design, implementation and maintenance
- Developing self- help team members to balance work and life priorities, realise their potential and see the benefits of self- development and improvement. Demonstrate commitment to self-improvement, championing a culture of continual development and progression.
- Technology- Drive efficiency in the implementation and use of new opportunities in technology for retail that will provide benefits to the business.
- Legal and governance- Be accountable; advocate and adhere to the importance of working legally in the best interests of all people.
- Diversity- Instill values which embrace the benefits of working in a culturally diverse environment.
Employers will set their own entry requirements, but it is expected that the individual would have worked in a supervisory role to start on this apprenticeship standard.
The duration of this apprenticeship is typically 12-18 months.
This is a level 4 Apprenticeship.