The qualification is to support learners that wish to become a paediatric first aider in the workplace; this is good for those with a responsibility for the welfare of infants and children. The qualification is valid for a period of 3 years, after which point learners will need to retake the course. In addition to this, it is recommended that learners refresh their knowledge annually.
What will I study?
The qualification will cover a range of knowledge such as the roles and responsibilities of the first aider. The qualification covers:
- How to assess an incident
- Provide first aid to an infant or child who is unresponsive
- Administer cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- Use of automated external defibrillator
- Suffering from hypovolemic shock
This qualification is assessed by two methods:
- Practical assessment- must demonstrate practical first aid skills.
- Theory assessment- must answers series of multiple choice questions.
Learners must be at least 16 years old on the first day of the training.
There are no other formal entry requirements but to benefit from the learning, it is advisable for the learner to have a minimum of Level 1 in English and Maths or equivalent.