This qualification is aimed for those learners that would like to become first aiders at work. In line with guidance provided by the HSE, the qualification supports/approves work place first aiders for a period of 3 years, after which point learners will need to retake the course. In addition to this, it is recommended that learners refresh their knowledge annually.
What will I study?
The qualification will cover a range of knowledge such as the roles and responsibilities of the first aider. The qualification covers:
- How to assess an incident
- Recognising signs and symptoms of injury and illness.
- Use of AED
- Heart attacks
- Dealing with external bleeding
- Hypovolemic shock
This qualification is assessed by two methods:
- Practical assessment- must demonstrate practical first aid skills.
- Theory assessment- must answers series of multiple choice questions.
Learners must be at least 14 years old on the first day of the training.
There are no other formal entry requirements but to benefit from the learning but it is advised that a minimum of Level 1 in English and Maths or equivalent.